At Procreate we're dedicated to making exceptional creative tools by combining beautiful user experiences with high performance engineering. Used by millions around the globe, Procreate is committed to placing more power in the hands of creatives.
We are looking for a Senior Graphics Engineer to join our team here in Hobart. You’ll join our rendering team building the next generation rendering and painting engine that drives the future of Procreate products.
This role sits within the Product team and reports directly to the CTO, Michael Shaw. You’ll work directly with all members of the Product team, the CPO and CEO as well as members of the Product Care department.
You’ll make meaningful contributions to our graphics pipeline, low-level optimisation, shader development, general compute and help us push the performance limits of virtual texturing.
You’ll need a deep understanding of GPU architecture and an ability to write performant and maintainable code. You’ll work directly on our proprietary engine, Valkyrie and help shape our next generation of in-house engine tech.
What you'll do.
- Systems engineering. You’ll have expertise in low-level systems programming in C/C++ and will write high-quality, performant and maintainable code. You’ll be comfortable working in large scale, interdependent systems. Your understanding of GPU architecture and work in GPGPU will allow you to allocate resources and solve performance issues in novel and creative ways.
- Performance optimisation and compute. You’ll spend time extracting as much performance out of the hardware as possible. Your experiences in development for consoles or mobile devices will set you up for success in our engineering environment. The team you will join will be tasked with developing next generation software that pushes the hardware to its limits in low-latency, real-time systems.
- Development or customisation of in-house engines. You’ll have made significant contributions to in-house/custom game or rendering engines or made modifications and alterations to commercial engines which allow development of purpose-specific features or functionality. In this role, you’ll contribute towards and refine our mission critical engine architecture.
- Refining our graphics pipeline. You’ll be involved in leading-edge real-time rendering and shader development practices. You’ll work with our product designers, product owner and other engineers to deliver industry-leading graphics experiences and functionality to our growing global user base.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about their craft. If you don’t see yourself in everything on this list don’t worry, even if you match just a few we’d still love to hear from you.
- CPU/GPU optimisation and debugging
- Familiarity with Apple’s Metal architecture
- Expert/specialist in C, C++ - low-level programming
- Tool-based approach to profiling and debugging (RenderDoc)
- Understanding of a range of design patterns and data structures.
- Experience with relevant modern graphics APIs (Vulkan, Metal, DirectX11)
- Deep involvement with rendering pipeline development in a related domain
- Mathematical background and familiarity with linear algebra and trigonometry.
What success looks like.
- Complete our onboarding process and become familiar with your colleagues and our workplace culture and tech stack.
- Familiarise and become comfortable with our engineering environment.
- Contribute to the design of our next generation compositor
- Explore the performance limits of virtual texturing
Once you're settled in.
- Develop significant parts our next generation compositor.
- Help optimise all aspects of our rendering pipelines
Now you're flying.
- Work with senior members of the engineering department to build new features and ship product
Who we are.
One of the driving factors behind Procreate’s success is our close-knit teamwork. We believe the key to invention is the open flow of ideas and collaboration — revelling in the creative process and taking the time to hone our craft. Together we’re dedicated to building creative software that is powerful, accessible, and intuitive. We’re not afraid to rethink, iterate and persist until we genuinely believe in our work.
At Procreate we’re a rare breed of driven people from all over the world. Each of us brings something special to the table, through our unique backgrounds and experience. Every day we inspire each other to continue our relentless pursuit, passion, and hunger to produce the highest quality work, while remaining humble in our achievements.
Co-founded by James and Alanna Cuda in 2011, Procreate has remained independent and self-funded for over 10 years. Since its launch, Procreate has been loved by millions around the world, received two coveted Apple Design Awards, and been the best-selling app on iPad for the past six years running. In 2018, Procreate Pocket also received an iPhone app of the year award
We invest in you.
Every employee at Procreate receives an individual training budget to help them grow personally and professionally. And because transparency matters, the whole company is included in the coming year’s plans and strategies at our annual off-site company meet.
Time to reset, recharge and look after yourself.
Australia already has some of the most generous annual leave provisions in the world at a mandated 4 weeks per year. We also offer you extended parental leave, an extra 5 Mental Health Days per year, plus an Employee Assistance Program open to you and your family members.
Everything you need to do your best work.
We’ll provide you with all the hardware and software you need, including a fully adjustable desk set up for your way of working. But it’s the personalised professional support, and growth and development opportunities we think will really help you fly.
We want to hear from you!
Our recruitment process is made to provide you with opportunities for you to show us what you're capable of, instead of assessing you solely on your CV. Regardless of whether you meet all requirements or experience listed, we’d love to hear about how you see yourself contributing to Procreate in this role.
Please note, we do not operate remote or hybrid models. We're looking for full-time and on-site employees for our Hobart office.
Apply now to be considered for the role!